After positive feedback from the “My Handloom, My Pride” and “My Sari, My Pride” campaigns, the Union Textiles Ministry decided to develop an e-commerce platform to assist weavers and craftsmen in selling their products directly to consumers.
She stated that the Centre was pursuing multi-pronged tactics in response to the textile industry’s slowing growth and stakeholder demands for government assistance. The Ministry also intends to organize “My Sari, My Pride” displays in all of the country’s district centers and small cities.
Rachna Shah, Union Textiles Secretary, stated that while it was too early to see the impact of the “My Sari, My Pride” campaign, the show was coordinated by the National Institute of Fashion Technology in Delhi. “My Handloom, My Pride” has been a long-running campaign for us.
She went on to say that the Ministry was considering launching an e-commerce platform to allow weavers and artisans to directly sell their wares. “I am hopeful that it will be launched pretty soon.” The pilot version will be soft-launched soon.
This sector employs 4.5 crore people directly and another six crore indirectly. Handloom and handicraft sectors required proper marketing, raw material, and product design assistance. The government will intervene in this way.
Globally, the market is not looking well. We will build infrastructure that will allow us to compete on a global scale. We have plans such as the Prime Minister’s Massive Integrated Textile Regions and Apparel (PM MITRA) initiative and production-linked incentives to address this.
5 Best e-commerce Platform for selling Handmade Items in India
Regardless of area, India has a great history and culture of arts and handicrafts. Every region in India has a specialty trade, from Rajasthan miniatures to Kalighat in Bengal.
Apart from these ancient arts, there are many skilled individuals throughout India who are capable of creating some of the unique and beautiful pieces of art and workmanship. Online shopping allows people to promote their artwork and earn a livelihood from it.
These skilled businesses sell on global platforms like Amazon and Flipkart. Flipkart and Amazon because of the platform’s sheer size and scope of the platform. Nonetheless, there are forums that not only facilitate but actively glorify them.
Let’s check a few similar e-commerce marketplaces out!
Etsy is an online marketplace for handmade and antique things, as well as art and craft materials. Jewelry, purses, apparel, home décor, furniture, toys, artworks, and other items are all handcrafted.
Vintage objects are defined as anything that is at least 20 years old. This marketplace includes around 2.1 million merchants and nearly 39.4 million customers. As a result, it is an excellent location for you to establish an online retail store.
- As an artisan, you can open a shop on Etsy for free, but each listing you submit will cost you roughly $0.20.
- This charge allows you to list your items for up to four months or until they are purchased.
- Keep in mind that Etsy takes 5% of the total price of each online retail product sold.
- You may also use offsite advertisements that Etsy compensates you for, but you must pay a 15% charge for each goods acquired through the ads.
- If you have any problems, you can always contact the support team by email or arrange a phone call.
2. Amazon Karigar
Amazon Karigar is an initiative launched by the eCommerce marketplace giants that allows any gifted artisan to sell their handicrafts online. This is one of the markets where Indians may offer their traditional handicrafts to the rest of the world.
They have touched the lives of almost 12 lakh artisans by selling their items, and we presently have about 1 lakh different handcrafted products to pick from. Every sort of local handcrafted shop can register and profit from sales of their products from across the world.
- To begin, all of your things for sale should not be machine-made.
- Second, you should have all of the necessary documents.
- Such as proprietorship details, contact, bank account details, GST, and PAN.
- After you have everything in order, you may begin the registration procedure.
- By registering, you will be alerted about upcoming training sessions.
- You will be allocated an account support person to assist you in setting up and managing Amazon account for the first 30 days.
CraftsVilla promises to be an online marketplace for discovering India. The website provides traditional clothing including as sarees, handcrafted gift items, home décor, and accessories. Individual producers and craftsmen working with traditional Indian handicrafts and arts provide the items.
While larger companies are constantly on the search for smaller marketplaces to acquire, CraftsVilla has remained independent. CraftsVilla has over 25,000 craftspeople and designers offering over 4 million goods.
As a result, with this marketplace, you have a free registration procedure, minimal commission rates on item sales, and no product restriction on the products you may post. But, if you want to register, make sure you have all of the following documents:
- PAN, GST registration, ID, and trademark registration certificate
- Additionally included are any other documentation pertaining to your company/shop.
- Finally, all bank information is easily available to expedite the transaction.
4. The India Craft House
TheIndiaCraftHouse is one of the few websites that represents India’s rich folk and handmade traditions in a modern way. All of the goods are purchased directly from craftsmen or non-governmental organizations (NGOs) that work closely with folk and artisan groups from all across India.
This eCommerce site features over 320 Indian craftsmen and over 2000 people that are indirectly related to the business. What’s even great about this website is that The India Craft House ships globally and handles the shipping and warehousing processes.
This website has a few distinct features, which include:
- Customers can place a bulk customized order for a certain product or a collection of many handmade products.
- This allows you to have a guaranteed demand as an artisan and generate more revenues.
- Another intriguing feature of this website is the ‘Shop by State’ option, which allows you to explore traditional and folk handicrafts from several Indian states.
AuthIndia allows you to enter the world of Indian handicrafts and artworks. This online shopping platform allows you to explore and sell all Indian handicrafts from across the world. AuthIndia has over 15,000 artisan goods on display and receives over 30,000 internet views each day.
Traditional painting, silk thread jewelry, home décor handicrafts, hand-painted crafts, and folk art paintings from all across India are available. They have all those intriguing and wonderful paintings! All you have to do is put your goods on their website and customers will find you.
- Unlike other websites, this one does not charge for registration or commission. They provide you with their services for free.
- Also, the registration process is simple for you to complete.
- This e-commerce marketplace does not need GST and leaves the pricing up to you.
- Apart from that, they provide banner space adverts on home sites. That is, if you want to market and enhance the reach of product to consumers.
Build Your Own Online eCommerce Platform
You might try building up your own online retail site while looking for one. Before you skip this part, keep in mind that making your own website isn’t as tough as you would imagine. There are CMS (Content Management Systems) available to assist you in launching your online marketplace.
Magento is another platform on which you may construct your website. This one, like the other two, operates virtually identically. Nonetheless, you will need some technical skills to develop your site here.
Aside from that, after you’ve launched eCommerce site, you’ll have access to a plethora of capabilities for displaying your handcrafted items. Nonetheless, it is still a sophisticated platform that frequently necessitates the use of skilled hands to develop full-fledged websites.
Magento 2 includes a plethora of out-of-the-box capabilities that allow you to fully adapt the platform to meet your specific requirements. It uses open-source technologies and features a well-organized admin panel.
Mconnect’s Magento skilled team will create a feature-rich Magento website suited to your specific needs. We undertake extensive study in your industry to absorb and implement the main elements your Magento eCommerce website requires.
You may also Read: MAGENTO DEVELOPMENT AND INTEGRATION
Mconnect Media shapes your Magento website so that end consumers get an amazing user experience. Our Magento development agency’s highly skilled developers use their in-depth understanding of the platform to create innovative and practical solutions.