Magento stores are a favorite amongst eCommerce vendors but they need to keep it up-to-date. The latest buzz is that Magento stores using Authorize.Net Direct Post Payment method would stop accepting payments after March 14, 2019. This can lead to a whole lot of chaos and financial loss (announcement). Original post.
However, Magento store merchants have a ray of hope as they can solve this problem by applying the latest patch to make their store up and running. Magento stores are a favorite amongst eCommerce vendors but they need to keep it up-to-date. The latest buzz is that Magento stores using Authorize.Net Direct Post Payment method would stop accepting payments after March 14, 2019.
This can lead to a whole lot of chaos and financial loss. However, Magento store merchants have a ray of hope as they can solve this problem by applying the latest patch to make their store up and running.
Why Magento stores may face payment processing issues after 14 March 2019?
Well, let us understand the issue first and then catch hold of the solution for it. Basically, the Authorize.Net Direct Post payment method of Magento eCommerce stores currently applies MD5 based hash for all M1 and M2 installations. According to the latest declaration, it is announced that MD5 based hash usage won’t be supported by Authorize.Net and hence, there would be issues with the payment gateway. As a result, payment processing based on Authorize.Net Direct Post would stop, which can lead to big monetary loss for Magento merchants.
According to Magento developers, the best way to deal with the issue is to apply patch developed by Magento. Along with this, they need to add a Signature Key (SHA-512) in the Magento Admin configuration settings.
Magento Versions that need to update with the patch:
If you are using following versions of Magento then a patch is the must for your store:
- Magento Commerce and Open Source 1.X.X
- Magento Commerce, Commerce Cloud, and Open Source 2.1.X, 2.2.X, 2.3.X
- Authorize.Net Direct Post
Authorize.Net Direct Post Signature Key is the latest patch available from Magento. The patch version for 2.X would suffice for all 2.3.X, 2.2.X, and 2.1.X instances. All you need to do is download this patch and apply it. Stores with M1 installations need to choose explicit patches to download.
What if I don’t apply the patch?
Well, it would cost you a world as your Magento store will stop accepting payments through Authorize.Net payment gateway. As the last date is 14th March 2019, you still have time to think and act on it. A wise piece of advice would be to act fast to keep your store up-to-date.
The best possible solution for Magento stores on M1 and M2 installations:
You need to follow three simple steps to use Authorize.Net Direct Post payment method.
Step 1: Apply the patch!
For this, you can easily download and install packages relevant to the Magento edition and version you are using. It would be effective to get it done by experienced Magento developers, to ensure that the process is flawless.
Magento Commerce and Magento Open SourceIf your store is built on Magento Commerce 1.X and Magento Open Source 1.X, then you need to follow these steps to download and install the patch:
- Go to My Account
- Find the Downloads tab. Choose the relevant Magento edition and version (like Magento Commerce 1.X), then edition and version (like Commerce 1.X).
- Following this, you need to select Support Patches and Security Patches, then Authorize.net Direct Post Signature Key patch.
- Click the download button to choose and install Authorize.net Direct Post Signature Key patch.
Following are the steps to install patch for Magento stores built on Magento Commerce 2.X and Magento Open Source 2.X:
- Go to My Account
- Find the Downloads tab and select the Magento edition and version (like Magento Commerce 2.X), then edition and version (like Commerce 2.X). You will find two patches – One for Magento 2.0.X and 2.1.X and other for Magento 2.2.X and 2.3.X.
- After this, you need to choose Support patches and then click on Authorize.net Direct Post Signature Key patch.
- Once you have selected the patch, hit the download button and install Authorize.net Direct Post Signature Key patch, relevant to your Magento store.
Those using Magento Commerce Cloud, you just need to apply the patch and deploy to ensure that your store runs without payment issues. For further information, check Apply custom patches.
Step2. New Signature Key and its configuration
A new Signature Key needs to be added to your Magento Admin Configuration. For details, you can check What is a Signature Key?
First of all, you need to log in to the Merchant Interface by clicking on https://account.authorize.net.
- Go to the main toolbar and select Account
- Go to Settings on the left side menu
- Click on API Credentials and Keys
- Choose New Signature Key and Submit
- You need to request and enter PIN for verification
- It will display your new Signature Key. Copy it to add into Magento Admin Configuration.
Step3. Update Magento Admin Configuration
- Log into the Magento Admin
- Choose Stores from the Admin Sidebar. Go to Settings and click on Configuration
- Click on Sales and Payment Methods
- Spread out the Authorize.net Direct Post section
- Enter SHA-512 in the Signature Key section
- Hit on Save Config
Magento 1 Authorize.Net Direct Post configuration screen
Magento 2 Authorize.Net Direct Post configuration screen
If everything goes well post Signature Key update, you will have hassle-free payment on your store. If not then you need to verify the Signature Key with Authorize.Net.
If you face any difficulty in applying the patch, then feel free to contact us.